Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bill Gates Funny?

Many people are confused on what is going on in the new PC commercials with Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld. The three commercials that air for a week and then were pulled show the two men trying to realate to "real" people. The idea behind the commericals is to show how Microsoft has related to over a billion people. The problem with these commericals is they do not even metion that they are relating people to computers until the ending where the Microsoft logo pops up. There is no relation to why a consumer should buy a PC instead a Mac. I am not sure if Microsoft is making a good move on putting two famous people from the early 1990's to promote a product being sold to the new generation of the early 2000.

3 comments:

ray said...

well as a mega super brand like microsoft i don't think they really need to tell customer to buy. i mean have you seen any nike commercial that is selling shose? no you see athlete achieving goal and then end of the video you see the logo. i think microsoft is doing same thing. i mean everyone think of microsoft when they see bill gates. they are trying to connect emotion and brand which is very hard to do.

Unknown said...

I agree the ads make almost no sense... it is like they tried to be funny. Found out that they couldn't and said what the hack I guess we have to show the commercial we already spent 10 mil... Ads for this day and age have gone down the tubes for sure.

icedragon472005 said...

Posted by Jessica Brown
I understand the strategy involved to try and get people to buy microsoft computers over another computer that is implemented in the commercial. Television commercial ads are the tools being used to create the tactic of showing people through emotions or feeling why one computer is better than the other. The commercials may not be funny, but I do not think that was the intention of the commercial. The commercials, if they use emotions are soft selling advertising. Humor is an emotion, but I think they want people to buy a computer based on how they feel when they use their computer. If they feel confident about how the computer is running and if it has all the features that they want. I think it is a want/need basis. Someone needs a computer to do homework for school or work for a company or they want one so they can download music to listen to, watch television or movie clips, surf the Web, play games, etc. That is the main concept of the commercial.