Many people have joined the virtual world of Second Life, but do people join it to get away from stress or do they join it to be someting that they are not in their real life. I personally think there is a line that has to be crossed before becoming something you are not on the cyber web. Sometimes I think that line is social networking sites like MySpace, Facebook, and now Second Life. I personally would not join Second Life because I am so busy in my real life I don't have time to play on the internet and buy virtual land and build on it.
Second Life is an internet-based virtual world created by Linden Lab, it was released in June 2003. It allows it's users, residents, to interact with others through avators. Residents can explore, meet other residents, socialize, participate in activities, and even buy property. The Second Life world changes constantly with thousands of new residents join daily. When purchasing land you can open up your own business. There was only 64 aceres of land available in 2003 when the game first came on the scene. Now there is over 65,000 aceres of land people can buy and build on to display their virtual creations.
The concept of Second Life fits in the world today because so many things are going through the world wide web. I am not a huge fun of second life because many people focus way too much on what is going on in the world wide web world and don't really care what is going on in the real world. Too many people get caught up in the whole thing of Second Life and tend to lose what they really have in the life they live.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Although Second Life is a concept I cant seem to understand, I know it is very interesting to other people. I also agree that there is a line that just shouldnt be crossed. i think if these people are on here as just some form of entertainment, its not so bad. But if these people are replacing their real lives to participate in this virtual world, thats when the forbidden line has been crossed.
Post a Comment